Friday, August 13, 2010

fanterview: Gregory and the Hawk


Four years ago I interviewed ("fanterviewed") Meredith Godreau of Gregory and the Hawk. For your retro viewing pleasure, I've dug it up from the annals of my laptop. Circa Spring 2006. It's pretty squonchy, due to the fact that I was seventeen and didn't know what I was doing.

DOWNLOAD: Gregory and the Hawk - "Boats and Birds"

Where did you come up with the name Gregory and the Hawk? Who is Gregory? What does his hawk have to do with it? 
I picked the name because in addition to having a personal meaning for me, it has a sort of storybook quality to it and i liked that.  Then people started thinking I was two people.. and one of me was a boy!  But maybe there's some truth to that.  I've been thinking of just shortening it to GATH.  That's what I call it in my head.

How have websites like myspace and purevolume affected your popularity?
First they asked for my name and location.  Then they asked for my email.  Then they asked me my favorite foods.  When I told them "cinnamon and sugar," they baked a pie and gave everybody a piece.

Are you currently trying to find a label, or going to stay independent?
I try to keep enjoying guitar, playing shows, sharing my music, and going to see my friends play no matter what.  And then I try to stay prepared in case an opportunity comes around.  It would have to be a very small label with other musicians I respected because I'm not about to do it for the money.  I think about it a lot though, and I honestly don't have an answer.

Your title song , "Boats and Birds", is simply gorgeous- both haunting and melodic, like a dream. What was the inspiration for this song?
Thank you, that's such a nice compliment.  I guess that one's about love & some of the sadness associated with it, like most songs.


On average, how long does it take you to write a song—melody & lyrics?
Well, it varies of course. Some I write in an hour, others I work on for months.   I keep and play probably 1 out of every 10 songs I write.  Maybe 1 in 15.  or 20.  Recently it takes me longer because I've been trying to make my guitar parts more difficult for myself so I can improve.  And melodies that are more difficult to remember.

Not much is known about you, Meredith. Tell us a little bit about yourself- your childhood, etc.
I just wrote a whole story about me being born as a dolphin and spending years as a karate-fighting recluse, but it wasn't true so I erased it!  I prefer not to talk about myself that way.  As a dolphin.

How did you get started creating music and writing songs?
I used to take lessons on piano, violin, and viola.  At the beginning of high school I got some ideas for songs.  I was fortunate enough to get a guitar and I worked from there - sometimes writing with a couple of girlfriends, but eventually worked just on my own.

What bands/music groups have influenced your music?
Liz Phair, The Blake Babies, Joanna Newsom, Diane Cluck, and Nick Drake.  And, you know, pretty much everything else too.  Friends' music especially.

Currently, what are you listening to?
Paper and Sand, Diane Cluck, Pinback, Frente, Toby Goodshank, Cara Satalino, The Baby Skins, Chris Meyer, Crowded House, The Presidents of the United States of America, Schwervon!, Silver Jews

Besides music, what types of things are you particularly passionate about?
Good food and a nice drink.. But I can't cook, I just eat.  I'm a sort of gourmand I suppose.  Recently me and my friend Andrew have been totally obsessed with this one lunch special at a Thai place in town.  You get a spring roll and some rice.  I don't know if you can call that a passion, but we like it.  We probably like it too much.

I've heard and read from several people that your music has "saved their lives." What's it like having that kind of impact on people?

Good, and awesome!  I like that a song I wrote to make me feel better can do the same for another person, though I never respond if someone tells me that.  I think by then it has nothing to do with me.

What's next for Gregory and the Hawk? Is there another album coming up? If so, what can you tell me about that?
Hopefully by the spring I'll have gotten my newer recordings done and I'll have enough moolah to press something and release it, but I'm playing it by ear right now.  It'd be great to tour too because I've been playing mostly new songs at shows and haven't had too many people to share em with.  That's all I can say.  I haven't decided on a name for the album yet either so I will do that.  

----

Since then, she's released two albums, In Your Dreams and Moenie and Kitchi, and has an upcoming album to be released this fall.

www.myspace.com/gregoryandthehawk

-jami

No comments:

Post a Comment